[Samba] file permissions

David McBride DMcBride at ctwenterprises.com
Thu Apr 25 14:44:02 GMT 2002

I have got my Samba file shareing to work, now I can not seem to get the
permissions worked out like I would like.
I would like admin and joe to have read and write access to all 4 folders.
When I try to write to any folder except admin logged in as admin I can not
write.
Can some one direct me to a detailed document on how Linux handles file
permissions or the best way to do samba fiel permissions.
BTW why does directory . and .. have different permissions?

File structure:
Data
       \
       }--admin
       }-joe
       }-user01
       }-user02

Users: admin, joe, user1, user2
Groups:admins, joe
Smbusers:user01, user02
Group membership:admins-admin, joe   smbusers-user01, user02
File permissions of data directory:
drwxrwxrwx	root	root		.
drwxr  xr  x	root	root		..
drwxr  xr  x	admin	admins		admin