[Samba] WINS and cross-subnet

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Apr 25 14:30:03 GMT 2002

I recall your saying that the WINS server is not listening to port 137
because, as I recall you tried to telnet to port 137 and got no answer. I
tried to telnet my samba server on 139 and got an answer but got no answer
on port 137, so, I don't think telnet works for port 137.

You might get a port scanner and scan your wins server (with permission
of your IT people, of course), or just ask the IT people if port 137
is working. I suspect that it is.

I would try /etc/hosts for one client, just to see if it works.  If it
does, you might be able to set up a DNS on your linux machine, but this
really sounds far fetched.

Can you talk at all to your wins server with nmblookup? There are a lot of
options with nmblookup, many of which are not well explained in man
nmblookup.
For example, try talking to your wins server with:
nmblookup WorkGroupNames#1b
You might need to use the -B option to get the right subnet for your master.
Then, try:
smbclient -NL winserver and see if it will show you any servers.
If it does, then you are on your way.
You can also try nmblookup -B broadcast YOURWORKGROUP<00>
This will return ipaddresses of servers in that group on the subnet
specified with -B.
You can then get the server netbios names with:
nmblookup -A ipnumberofserver
This all could be scripted to make up an /etc/hosts file without too much
trouble.
I have never used the lmhosts file. I put everything in /etc/hosts. You
might need to fool with the name resolve order parameter in your smb.conf.
Joel