[Samba] samba 2.2.3a loses WINS registration

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Apr 25 11:03:03 GMT 2002

Since upgrading to Samba 2.2.3a on several of our servers, we are having
trouble with nmbd not maintaining the WINS registration.  After the WINS
server expires the record, our users in other subnets cannot find the
server.  Restarting nmbd registers the server again in WINS, but nmbd
doesn't reregister at 20 minute intervals as before.

I have compiled samba from source with:

./configure --prefix=/private/samba --with-syslog --without-winbind
--with-quotas

and here is the [global] section from my smb.conf:

[global]
   security = domain
   password server = *
   hosts allow = 128.193. 127.
   encrypt passwords = true
   guest account = nobody
   debug level = 1
   syslog = 0
   name resolve order = wins host
   wide links = false
   wins server = 128.193.4.45
   workgroup = SCF
   server string = Monolith The Black Box
   netbios name = monolith
   nt acl support = true
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.smb
   max log size = 50000
   locking = yes

Did something change between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3a?  I'm not subscribed to this
mailing list, so please cc me on any replies.

Thanks,
	Andy