[Samba] Problem with Null Passwords and Samba

dbenwit at canada.com dbenwit at canada.com
Thu Apr 25 08:48:02 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I recently installed a file server at a client site using COL Server 3.1.1 and Samba 2.2.3a. The file server was configured to be a member server in the Windows NT domain using the global parameter "server = domain" in the smb.conf file. I am using winbind to allow users to be authenticated by the PDC NT server for the domain.
In general, everything seems to be working as I expected,  except for one issue.
The client is a computer training site which uses separate user accounts for each
computer in the classroom. In order to make it easier for the teacher and students, the passwords for these accounts are blank or null. The problem is that when you log onto one of these computers using an account with no password and then try to browse the samba file server using Network Neighborhood, you are asked for a password (entering a blank password does not work). In contrast, if you log onto a computer with a user account which has a password, you can browse the file server in network neighborhood without any problems.
I don't understand why the samba file server is not allowing access to these accounts with no password. I would have thought that they would be treated the same as accounts with passwords. I have tried using the global parameter "null passwords = yes" in the smb.conf file but this does not appear to make any difference.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Below is info on my configuration for samba

nsswitch.conf

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Name Service Switch configuration file.
#

passwd: 	files winbind
shadow: 	files winbind
group:		files winbind

hosts:		files nis dns
networks:	nis files dns

ethers: 	nis files
protocols:	nis files
rpc:		nis files
services:	nis files

smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
	 workgroup = DUFF-LAB
	 netbios name = LAB-2
	 server string = Samba Server on Caldera OpenLinux
	 security = domain
	 password server = lab-1
	 encrypt passwords = Yes
	 null passwords = yes
      #winbind configuration
	 winbind separator = +
	 winbind cache time = 10
	 template shell = /bin/bash
	 winbind uid = 10000-20000
	 winbind gid = 10000-20000
	 winbind enum users = yes
	 winbind enum groups = yes
      #end
	 log file = /var/log/samba.d/smb.%m
	 max log size = 200
	 dns proxy = No
	 wins server = 10.251.8.61
	 admin users = dave

/etc/pam.d/samba

auth	   required   /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth	   required   /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth	   sufficient  /lib/security/pam_winbind.so  nullok
auth	   required   /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so    shadow nullok use_first_pass
account    required   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

Thanks in advance,
Dave