[Samba] "/" shows up as home directory for "nobody" - available to any user

Thomas Klettke thomask at aesbus.com
Thu Apr 25 07:33:02 GMT 2002

Strange thing:
After being logged on to samba-PDC (2.2.3a, LDAP) I see besides the user's
home directory a home directory for user "nobody" - containing the root file
system of my samba server.
The relevant parts in smb.conf looks like this:

guest account = pcguest	(if not set it defaults to "nobody" - this should
turn it off)

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes

The entry in /etc/passwd for "nobody" is:
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin

There is no entry for "nobody" in the LDAP database, not is there anywhere
an account for "guest".

Looks like this entry is the key - the "/" for the home dir.
Since I really don't want everybody to have read access to everything on my
hard drive, can anyone point me to how I can fix this?
I guess, I could change nobody's home dir to something else - but what would
that break?
I'd rather find out why samba shares it out to begin with - is there a way
to turn it off?

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas Klettke
thomask at aesbus.com
Network Administrator
Aesbus Knowledge Solutions
Houston, TX 77069

"The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat."