[Samba] WinNT offline file attribute

Damir Dezeljin programing at nib.si
Thu Apr 25 02:51:28 GMT 2002

> Also has anyone verified how a Windows 2000 system (The first to admit
> support for the offline bit) uses this information?
WinNT sp6a, Win2k, WinXP, Win.Net* suport file offline attribute. The only
thing that windows (explorer) do is that them don't try to open the file
to get an file icon or any other data (ex. MS Word files informations).

The shared folders with offline files works the sam way (a client know of
offline attribute set and don't try to open any offline file).

The easiest solution will be to define an entire share (in smb.conf) to be
offline - to export offline file attribute for all files. This aproach
doesn't causes any overhead for calling ioctl or something similar (ex.
check for an offline extended attribute).

I will look SAMBA sources - I'm no familar with them.

Regards,
Damir