[Samba] WinNT offline file attribute

Shirish Kalele kalele at veritas.com
Wed Apr 24 19:43:18 GMT 2002

Jerry,

"csc policy" is for client-side offline caching. I think Damir is looking
for Samba to support files offlined by storage managers like HSM. Both are
called "offline files". One of the reasons the "csc policy" parameter was so
named.

Samba could set the 'offline' flag in the files attributes to indicate the
file is offlined. This makes applications like Explorer not open and read
files just to display the icons (which would force the manager to bring the
files online again). A special "offlined" icon is displayed instead.

As I understood it (and I could be wrong), indicating offline wasn't a
problem, the problem was finding out if a file was offline. I'm sure Damir
could code up a custom fix to make Samba do it (using ioctl's or whatever)
and distribute the fix as his patch. But I don't see how there could be a
generic fix. I remember there was talk of such a thing.

Cheers,
Shirish