[Samba] Samba and Ntdomain

UNX BOY unxboy at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 17:42:11 GMT 2002

Hey guys got a weird situation. First thing I am running Sol8 on an ultra 5
running samba-2.2.2, nt box running windows 2000 server service pack2.  I
decided to use the nt authentication to samba shares. So i added the samba
server to the domain.  Here is my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = SYS
        netbios name = nsmx1
        server string = Hater...Samba %v on (%L)
        security = DOMAIN
        domain logons = yes
        password server = nspdc2
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad Password
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
        max log size = 50
        lm announce = True
        preferred master = False
        local master = No
        domain master = False

[homes]
        browseable = No
        writeable = Yes

[Ports]
        comment = Solaris Ports
        path = /opt/local/src
        guest ok = Yes
        volume = Solaris Ports

I used smbpasswd -j SYS -r nspdc2 -U administrator, prompted me for passwd,
entered it and it successfully joined the domain. Now i ahve verified that
when I log into my nt domain with a diff account I am able to get to the
shares, meaning that the nt auth to samba is working.  Now the problem is
when i goto srvmgr I choose view all and it show my WIndows NT5.1 Primary
then I see the samba server listed as NSMX1 Windows NT 4.5 BACKUP.  If i
choose to view just workstations thier is a differnt entry for that same
samba server excpet it says in lower case letter nsmx1 and it says Windowes
NT workstation or Server, but this one is not lit up meaning that it is
offline but the other one listed as BACKUP is lit up.  I dont understand why
this is happening.  Seems like it is listing it as a BDC. right?  I believe
it is sapposed to come up as workstation or server.  Somthing is obviously
wrong.  Can someone please help.  Thanks alot for your time

-Radames