[Samba] What I must configure to use LPRng with Samba

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Apr 24 06:42:02 GMT 2002

OK.
I think I am starting to see what you are doing. Why not just attach the
printer to the samba server? Your windows box is not going to do any job
filtering for you. With windows, all job filtering is done on the client.
If you insist on using the windows box to attach to the printer, here
is my approach.
If you are not going to be using the printer to service linux clients, you
should not have driver problems.
Can you print a file with smbclient?
Print a document to a file from windows (maybe print it to a share on the
linux server) and then use smbclient to send the printfile to the windows
printer:
smbclient //windowsbox/printershare
print printfile
or
cat printfile | smbclient //windowsbox/printershare -c "print -"
If this works, you are in business.
All you really need is a print filter which runs this command:
smbclient //windowsbox/printershare -c "print -" or something like it. You
will likely have to mess with permissions and the like. The smbprt or other
script on your linux box will give you more detail.
However, it would make more sense to attach the printer to the linux server.
Joel