[Samba] help with basics

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Tue Apr 23 21:40:04 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 23:33, David McBride wrote:
> I am new to linux and Samba.  I have a box with Slackware 8.0 (no xwindows)
> and Samba (that came on the CD) installed.  I am useing the
> /etc/samba/smb.config-sample remaned to smb.conf file for my configuration
> file for Samba to learn on.  I have read many how-to's and article on the
> net to the point that I am only getting more frustrated and confussed.  I
> would like to start out with a few basic questions that I just dont seem to
> fully understand from what I have read.  I am useing a Win2K box to test
> Samba with.  I can browse through network neighborhood to the "slacknet"
> workgroup, but get the errors for account autorization errors or access
> denied.  I can even do find computer and see the system netbios name of the
> slackware box, but still no access.
if your w2k is sp2 then you need to apply the signorseal reg patch
its in the sourceball

> 1. how does the line "guest account = pcguest" affect things if left
> commented out or uncommented.
if you don't want guest access comment out that line
and also set map to guest = never
> 2. can someone tell me what option for the line "security = " I need to use
> if I want Samba to ask for a user name and password when I try to access it
> from my win2k box.  I have created a local user with "adduser" and added it
> to the samba user list with "smbpasswd", but it never asks for login info
> when I try to connect to samba.  the user account I created was 'guest01".
security=user

> 3. I have a section that reads
> [public]
>   path=/usr/somewhere/else/public
make sure this is a valid path
>   public=yes
you don't need this
>   only guest=yes
this is going to screw you up - remove it

>   writable=yes
>   printable=no
no need for this line

> Is this good enough or does anything need to be changed?
>
> Thanks so much for your patience with a newbie,
don't worry - this will all seem very easy to you in a couple of days.

brad