[Samba] What I must configure to use LPRng with Samba

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Apr 23 17:15:03 GMT 2002

Do you know what this printcap entry is saying?
Is says to send the print job to samba. You don't want to do this on your
server. Your server is going to talk to the printer attached to itself
and it won't use samba for that.

> epson:cm=Dummy Printcap Entry:
>       :lp=/dev/null
>       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P
>       :sh:if=/usr/bin/smbprint

The following is the sort of print cap entry you need:

ps|z53:\
        sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/z53:mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh
        :sh:

This uses the filter pointed to by the if parameter to convert print jobs to
a format usable by my z53 printer. Note lp points to the device which has
the printer physically attached to the server.

Joel