[Samba] After some print jobs, samba server doesn´t accept conections.

Claudio Hernandez claudio.hernandez at ogiharaproeza.com.mx
Tue Apr 23 15:35:02 GMT 2002

I have RH 7.2, with Samba 2.2.1a, and LPRng printing system. I have two
printers, HP DeskJet 1220C and HP LaserJet 5.

When a user send many jobs to the printer after a short period of time the
server sends a message that the server is not accesible or is not connected
to the network, but any other user can do it, again, after some jobs sent to
the printer the server doesn´t accept any connection from that client.

I read the FAQ of LPRng, and it says that you must change the number of
ports in your lpd.conf file, but it has the correct number of ports.

==================obtained from www.lprng.org =============================

SOLUTION:

It appears that most RFC1179 implementations do not check for the exact port
range 721-731, but only that the connection
originates from a reserved port, i.e. - in the range 1-1023. You can extend
the range of ports used by LPRng by changing the

    originate_port=721 731

value in the defaults (LPRng/src/common/defaults.c) file or in the lpd.conf
file. I recommend the following:

    originate_port=512 1022 <--- I have this numbers.

What could be my problem??

regards.

Ing. Claudio Hernández.
Sistemas OPM
Tel. 83-54-72-60   Ext. 259
Skytel Tel. 83190779 Pin: 5996543
e-mail: claudio.hernandez at ogiharaproeza.com.mx

La información contenida o adjunta a este mensaje es clasificada como
No-Pública, de carácter privado y confidencial, es propiedad de Proeza, sus
afiliados y/o subsidiarias que en conjunto denominaremos Proeza y no puede
ser reproducida, revelada o transmitida a terceros o ser utilizada para
propósitos no definidos dentro de los términos comercialmente aceptables por
el receptor del mensaje, sus colaboradores o asociados sin el consentimiento
previo y por escrito por parte de Proeza. Estas restricciones son
adicionales a cualquier acuerdo paralelo que se hubiese establecido entre
las partes en términos de acuerdos, contratos o convenios de
Confidencialidad o similares entre Proeza y el receptor de este mensaje.

The information contained in or attached to this message, to the extent it
is non-public, is the confidential, proprietary information of Proeza.,its
affiliates and/or subsidiaries (collectively, "Proeza") and may not be
reproduced, disclosed to any third party or used by the recipient and/or the
recipient's employer (hereinafter "recipient"), for other than the intended
purpose for which it was provided to the recipient, without the prior
written approval of Proeza.  These restrictions are in addition to any
restrictions that may apply pursuant to the terms of any Confidentiality or
Non-Disclosure Agreement(s) between Proeza and the recipient