[Samba] smbfs directory listing problem

Hanser, Kevin kevin at merchantinternetgroup.com
Tue Apr 23 10:08:02 GMT 2002

I am experiencing a strange problem with a shared Windows 2000 drive mounted
with smbfs.

When I do a directory listing the first time that I enter the directory, it
appears to retrieve all (or most) of the files that are in the directory.
However, subsequent ls's return varying amounts of files, or sometimes none
at all.

I have been searching newsgroups and whatnot for over an hour trying to find
out a few things:
first, who maintains smbfs now..??
second, what can I do about this directory listing problem?
	is this a known bug, and is there a fix?
	I've noticed a couple other people have had this problem as well,
but I have been unable to find a solution.

Here's a capture of some of the commands and what they're returning:
[root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
    1244
[root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
    385
[root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
    385
[root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
    385
[root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
    385

Now it seems that every time I do an ls, I alwasys get 385 back for the
count... and there are _at least_ 1200 files there (more I think).

Can anyone give any insight into this problem?

Thanx!

Kevin Hanser
System Administrator
Merchant Internet Group, Inc.