[Samba] What I must configure to use Samba with LPRng

Fernando Giorgetti fernando at gruponet.com.br
Tue Apr 23 06:26:02 GMT 2002

Hi All,

	I'm trying to use Samba with LPRng, but i got no success.
	I'll use my Linux box as a Spool manager, and the printers are in the Windows box.

	Well, I've created an empty /etc/lpd.conf and a /etc/lpd.perms with only
"DEFAULT ACCEPT".
	Follow, my /etc/printcap:

epson:cm=Dummy Printcap Entry:
      :lp=/dev/null
      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P
      :sh:if=/usr/bin/smbprint
smb:
      :lp=|/usr/bin/smbprint
      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:

	and here the .config of each printer :

/var/spool/lpd/epson/.config:

share='//josi/epson'
hostip=192.168.8.129
user='usuario'
password='senha'
workgroup='gruponet.com.br'

and

/var/spool/lpd/smb/.config:

share="//josi/epson"
hostip="192.168.8.129"

I've setted the right permissions and run the checkpc, so the permissions
warning disapear.
In my smb.conf I put the follow in [global] :

    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    printing = lprng
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr  -P%p -r %s
    lpq command   = /usr/bin/lpq  -P%p
    lprm command  = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
    lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
    lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
    queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc  -P%p stop
    queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start

and in the [printers] :

[printers]
    path = /var/spool/lpd/%p
    comment = Impressoras
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    guest ok = no
    printable = yes

I can map a Printer from my Windows client but when I try to send something
to be printted The document dont go to the printer and no error occurs...

Anybody knows what's wrong?

PS: Sorry my bad english

Thanks...
Fernando Giorgetti.