[Samba] The Network path was not found - Please help

Desmond Quek dquek at jni.com
Mon Apr 22 16:39:02 GMT 2002

Hi folks,

	I'm running 2.2.3a on Solaris 7, with bunch of Win2k and XP clients
from several subnets.  For the clients that are on the same subnet as
the server, everything works fine.  But for the clients that are on a
subnet different from the server, users are getting "The network path
was not found" error when doing:

	Start->Run...->\\storage\depot

	or double-clicking on the "storage" icon in "My Network Places"

	Users ARE able to get to the share with no errors, however, if they use
IP or fully qualified domain name (\\storage.jni.com\depot) of the
server instead.  What am I missing here?

	Here's my smb.conf file:

[global]
    workgroup = Software
    server string = Samba %v
    netbios name = Storage
    lock dir = /var/samba/locks
    log file = /usr/local/admin/logs/samba/smbd-%v-%h
    log level = 2
    load printers = no
    max log size = 5000
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    username map = /usr/local/admin/samba-%v/lib/software/users.map
    smb passwd file = /usr/local/admin/samba-%v/lib/software/smbpasswd
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    dns proxy = no
    max disk size = 30000
    deadtime = 15
    utmp = yes
    wins server = 10.137.1.244
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = yes
[depot]
    comment = Storage for Software group
    path = /home/depot
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    case sensitive = yes
    force create mode = 0664
    force directory mode = 0775
    force group = +software
    valid users = +software
    public = no
    printable = no

	Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,
Desmond
--

JNI Corporation - ASIC Development
45365 Northport Loop West.  Fremont, CA 94538-6417