[Samba] performance problems

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Sun Apr 21 11:57:02 GMT 2002

Sounds like you have network problems;  I'd run a cable tester on
the 100Base-TX connections to the switch/hub to see what they
look like.

100Base-TX full-duplex doesn't do as much in the way of packet
validation as 10Base-T half-duplex.  If you're using the same
Cat-5 lines for the old 10Base-T and 100Base-TX, they may
have been fine at the slower speed, but corrupting
the data at the higher speed.

Try running a ping test to another wkstn on the network
to see if you get a bunch of bad packets-that might
highlight which one (or both) of the nics has a bad line.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: vincent blondel [mailto:vincent.blondel at chello.be]
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2002 1:54 AM
To: Samba ( List )
Subject: [Samba] performance problems

Hi,

I am trying to set up share folders on my linux slackware 8 with samba
2.2.0a. I was using two ethernet cards in 10 mb/s with the following
configuration and I had no problem.

But now, I am using two ethernet cards with 100mb/s connection and I get a
lot of problems.

I have well read/write access on my share folders ...
I can well copy files from my linux server to my windows workstation ...
but I have lot of problems by copying files from my windows workstation to
my linux server.

I always get buffers problems, "connection lost" problems. When I copy one
little file, there is no problem and when I copy lot of files, problems are
coming up. I tried to put in my config file "socket options = TCP_NODELAY"
but it doesn't change anything.

[global]
workgroup = TEST
encrypt passwords = yes