[Samba] Help with printer logs

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Apr 20 10:39:01 GMT 2002

I am sure there are many ways to do this, but, for simple logging, the
macros generated when a user logs into a share might suffice. Here is
what I see when a user logs on as a guest (ftp) to the share public:

client machine NetBios name = hammer7 (%m)
Primary goup name of U = ftp (%G)
IP address of client = 192.168.0.7 (%I)
Netbios name of server = jhammer6 (%L)
Internet DNS of client= hammer7.jhammer.org (%M)
NIS home directory= jhammer6 (%N)
Protocal level = NT1 (%R)
Current time and date= 2002/04/19 04:05:32 (%T)
Session user name (one the client wanted)= ftp (%U)
Architecture of remote machine= Samba (%a)
Process ID of current server= 5265 (%d)
Internet DNS hostname of server= jhammer6 (%h)
Path of services home directory from NIS= (%p)
Samba version= 2.2.1a (%v)
Home directory of user in u= /home/ftp (%H)
Root directory of current service = / (%P)
Name of current service = public (%S)
Primary group name of u in share = ftp (%g)
User name of current service = ftp (%u)

You could make your samba print command save this stuff to a logging file.
Of course, this doesn't tackle the tough questions like how much the user
printed.

Joel