[Samba] Re: message command will not work on debian woody 2nd

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Apr 19 04:20:03 GMT 2002

Someone on our lug mailing list had the same problem with a recent
Debian (maybe even Woody). I am not sure if this is resolved, but since
the only reports of this seem to be on Debian, maybe you should:

1)Try compiling samba from source with no patches from the Debian
package, to see if it is Debian packaging
2)Ask on Debian-related mailing lists
3)Consult the Debian maintainer of the samba packages.

Buchan

P.S. 2.0.7 seems a bit old to be in Woody (especially since the 2.0.x
branch is up to 2.0.10 due to security issues), you should also maybe
try a more recent samba package.

> Message: 6
> From: "Florian Grimps" <Florian.Grimps at epost.de>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:23:16 +0200
> Subject: [Samba] message command will not work on debian woody 2nd
>
> Hello, again.
>
> I tryto use the message command feature to catch winpopups send to my debian
> box,
> as it is described at
> http://samba.linuxbe.org/en/samba/config/advanced.html#messages
>
> Win client (e.g. net send debian hiho) or with # smbclient -M localhost;
> give positve result,
> for commands like this.
>
> But it doesn't work on my debian woddy with samba 2.07-5.
> No message is printed on the ttys.
>
> So I tried the same config & commands with Redhat 7.2 with samba 2.2a on a
> other computer,
> and there was no problem using something like this:
>
> message command = /bin/bash -c 'cat %s | wall; rm %s'
>
> So i want to know how I can help my self.
> How can i find out where my message get lost.
> Is it maybee a bug?
> Or blocks the debian system itselfs the operation, for secure reasons?
>
> Thanks in advantage
>
> Grimps Florian.

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202