[Samba] CIFS & SMB Microsoft licenses

dave stevenson Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 02:26:02 GMT 2002

Seems to me M*Soft marketing people may be shooting themselves in the foot.
Adopting
a "worry the punters" approach can only serve to alienate W*ndows users further.
We NEED to
use both UN*X and W*ndows interoperably and we find W*ndows clients a convenient

desktop solution for many routine IT tasks. Samba and products under GPL enable
me to use W*ndows, if M*Soft put obstacles in that path then I'm motivated to
use alternative clients (linux/StarOffice etc) rather than trust future IT
provision to a company that seem to be adopting a path of  proscription or
prohibition. I think history illustrates what happens to groups that isolate
themselves - they are out-evolved.

Personal view only.