[Samba] Re: Linux as a workstation client

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Apr 17 15:00:03 GMT 2002

On 17 Apr 2002, David Brodbeck wrote:

> I checked into AFS, but unless I'm mistaken you have to buy some kind of
> server license.  That makes testing it out as a solution kind of
> difficult.

http://www.openafs.org/
http://www.stacken.kth.se/projekt/arla/

I only know they exist, not how well they work. But from what I understand
they are both free and include a server.

> I'd just use smbfs, but the problem then becomes how to transparently
> mount all the needed shares *as the user that's currently logged in.*
> Making user-mountable fstab entries is easy enough, but that still
> leaves the problem of having to prompt the user multiple times for their
> password...

pam_mount is supposed to be able to handle this.
http://pam-mount.conectevil.com/

mount could be taught to use ~ in /etc/fstab and then you could do:
//server/share	~/smb	smbfs noauto,user,credentials=~/.smbpass,...

/Urban