[Samba] Problem Setting Up File Server

hammerd at evanite.com hammerd at evanite.com
Tue Apr 16 16:33:02 GMT 2002

Hi all.

I am trying to set up a RedHat 7.2 server to act as a windows file server
using Samba and Winbind, the intent is to have NT Domain users be able to
access the server based upon NT Domain permissions.
I am using Kernel 2.4.18, I installed the ACL and EA patch 0.8.5 and Samba
2.2.3a. I configured Samba with the following configure command.
../configure --with-winbind --prefix=/usr/local/samba --with-smbwrapper
 --wit
h-pam --with-pam_smbpass --with-msdfs --with-acl-support.

My smb.conf file is
[global]
 workgroup = DOMAIN
 netbios name = KIWI
 server string = Samba File Server
 encrypt password = Yes
 password server = *
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m\
 max log size = 50
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUFF=8192
 os level = 60
 local master = No
 domain master = False
 dns proxy = no
 wins server = 10.0.0.23
 winbind uid = 10000-20000
 winbind guid = 10000-20000
 winbind separator = +
 winbind enum users = yes
 winbind enum groups = yes
 load printers = yes
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 printing = lprng
 template shell = /bin/bash
[public]
 path = /home/public
 writable = yes
 comment = Public Stuff
 public = yes
 guest ok = Yes
 read only = no

I have the computer showing up in network neighborhood on my NT machine.

If use the command /usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo -u it shows all of my NT
Domain users in the following format DOMAIN+user.

When I connect to the linux server from a nt workstation and I type
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbstatus it returns the following

Samba Version 2.2.3a
Service uid  guid  pid machine
public nobody nobody 6522 p112297 (10.0.0.152) Tue Apr 16 15:32:29 2002
IPC$  nobody nobody 6522 p112297 (10.0.0.152) Tue Apr 16 15:32:29 2002

I was using a TechRepublic article to do the setup. One thing that did not
work was the procedure had me make changes to the /etc/pam.d/samba file.
That file did not exist, so I created the file and put the entries that
were
listed.

Any help would be appreciated

Don Hammer
Network Administrator
Evanite Fiber Corporation
1115 SE Crystal Lake Dr
Corvallis, OR 97333
(541) 753-0391 voice
(541) 753-0388 fax
hammerd at evanite.com
***** CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION *****
This e-mail and its attachments contain
confidential information, and are intended
only for the individual or entity indicated.
If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that the disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents
of this transmission is strictly prohibited,
and no privilege or protection has been waived.
please notify the sender immediately and then
delete the message from your computer.
Al Sheldon
Evanite Fiber Corporation
Internet Address: ismanager at evanite.com