[Samba] smbmount to host over internet?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Apr 16 12:40:06 GMT 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Rafael wrote:

> I have tried to mount a share from a windowsclient of my brother over the
> internet and dont know if it is possible or not
> i tried this:
> smbmount //222.132.33/hol /kol
             ^^^^^^^^^^
Try using the whole IP number ... (all 4 octets).

If the other side is a win9x then you need to use the name of the machine
to connect. This is why the 'ip' option exists.

So instead of:
> mount  -t smbfs -o ip=222.132.33 //222.132.33/hol /kol

It might work with:
mount -t smbfs -o ip=1.2.3.4 //netbiosname/hol /kol

Where "netbiosname" is the name the other machine thinks it has.
It doesn't matter that your machine doesn't know what "netbiosname"
resolves to.

Firewalls and such may still prevent you from connecting, but it is
otherwise possible to do.

/Urban