[Samba] installation question

Blanchard, Michael MBlanchard at grandaire.com
Tue Apr 16 11:00:03 GMT 2002

If you're new to linux, I suggest you download the rpm from
www.samba.org.  A redhat install typically expects samba in places where
just running "./configure" without options will not place the files.
This isn't really the fault of samba or redhat, it's just "different".
If you use the redhat rpm, it will put everything where redhat likes it
to go, even putting in the smb /etc/init.d/smb file in for you.  So I
would delete your samba stuff and just get the rpm unless you HAVE to
have something that's not compiled into the rpm, which is unlikely
unless you're running LDAP or something, which would be amazing since
you say you're new to linux. :)  So to wrap it up, RPM = good for
beginners, .TAR.GZ = good if you're masochistic or need something not
compiled in by default.