[Samba] Minolta printer

Peter Blajev peter at castandcrew.com
Mon Apr 15 15:36:03 GMT 2002

Recently we bought a Minolta 251f printer/copier and I'm trying
to share it using SAMBA-2.2.1a and CUPS-1.1.12. The printer has
a network module and it's plugged into the network.

I'll start with the question:
"Has anyone able to get similar Minolta printer to work with SAMBA?"

Here is what happened when I tried.

The original drivers that came with the printer didn't work. If
I print from Windows'98 SAMBA creates an empty spool file and
send it to CUPS. If I print from W'NT the print job disappeared and
when I rebooted the machine I got a message saying the I have a
print job in the queue. There are no errors in the SAMBA or CUPS log files.
On the other hand the same drivers work when I use Win'NT as a print server
instead of SAMBA.

Minolta Support recommended to use some old Minolta PCL driver for W'98 and
HP LaserJet 4 PCL driver for Win'NT and everything work fine
but in this scenario I can't setup an automatic driver download.
Also we are losing a lot of printer features using HP driver on
Minolta printer.

I don't think that I'm the only one who has a Minolta printer and
tried to share it using SAMBA so please if you are able to do that
drop me a line.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter