[Samba] W2k devmode

Ruud Baart R.J.Baart at Prompt.nl
Mon Apr 15 05:20:02 GMT 2002

Our server is a SuSE Linux 7.2 with CVS samba 2.2 branche. Version number is
2.2.pre-4. We updated today.

We have a problem with the default devmode in Windows 2000 (SP2) clients. We have
uploaded the printerdrivers to the share print$. The Samba printeradministrator is able
to change the printer capabilities as memory, trays, papersize. etc. Changes are global:
when a user logs in, he sees the new global printersettings. In Europe we use page
size A4. So far, so good.

But the default printersettings per user are not conform the settings the
printeradministrator made. We don't know why. To be more specific: we want all users
to have as default pagesize not "Letter" but "A4". Althoud the administrator set all
papersizes to A4 the default user setting is "Letter". This default user printersettings are
saved in the register, several places in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers".

Before allowing the user to make his own settings we:
- We made paperformat adjustments to the ppd-file in appriate directory in the print$-
share
- We made a paperadjustment adjustment in the samba source (nt_printing.c) and
replaced the default "Letter" by "A4". We also changed PAPER_LETTER to
PAPER_A4.
- In the registerkeys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers all devmodes were absent or
removed.

Still the default peruser papersize setting is Letter. We changed the smb.conf file and
added "default devmode = Yes". We expected with the last adjustment that a default
devmode was generated when there is no key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers.
But even now the "Letter"-format is the default for the peruser printersettings.

How is that possible? Can we do something to change this behaviour?

Met vriendelijke groet/Regards,
Prompt
R.J. Baart

Marktveldpassage 35c