[Samba] (no subject)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Apr 13 07:39:02 GMT 2002

> ANY help or direction to additional information would be greatly
> appreciated

Since you sound at the end of your rope and nobody has responded, I'll put
my two cents in.

It seems as though there is a security package (SSL) kicking in when
you try to access your server. I don't see this with my system, which
suggests that you have either compiled your smbd differently or you have
some directive in smb.conf invoking this security package.

It isn't clear to me if this is really keeping you from your server or not.

Just some suggestions, in no particular order of importance:
1. Attach the output of smbclient -U% -L localhost
2. Try dropping -U% from your command
3. Try logging onto to one of the shares you see listed:
  smbclient //localhost/share
4. Since security is such a bore, try using a very insecure arrangement at
first and step up to the level of security you need. Here is what I do, and
it works fine for a home network where I trust all my users. (I can still
keep important stuff from being erased/seen by my children/wife via linux
permissions. User ftp doesn't have lots of priviledges.

[global]
        interfaces = 192.168.0.2
	security = SHARE
	guest account = ftp