[Samba] I just wanted to comment on what a great job the Samba team is doing!

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Apr 12 15:49:02 GMT 2002

I just finished setting up a WAN domain with 3 Samba servers
(1 PDC and 2 BDCs - as per the suggestion in the documentation)
running on FreeBSD.
If there's any question about how well Samba works, let me answer
that question: It works GREAT.
You folks have really written a fantastic suite of software.
Everyone who's ever contributed code or docs or anything should
take a moment here and pat themselves on the back.

A few details:
3 FreeBSD servers and a Mandrake Linux server all running Samba
2.2.3a (with the patch I posted yesterday to fix the minor
"hide unreadable"/"admin users" bug)  One of the FreeBSD servers
acts as PDC, and propagates its userlists to the others via NIS,
the smbpasswd file is propagated with rsync.  The other servers
are configured to act as BDCs for the domain, and with the wealth
of configurability in Samba we are able to detect which part of the
WAN a user is on and run an appropriate logon script.
Windows 95, 98 and 2000 machines all participate in the domain.
Any time we've ever had a problem, it was usually something
Windows was doing wrong!  When it was a Samba problem, we were
able (thanks to the excellent docs) to fix it in minimal time.

Once again, thanks to all who have taken time to create such
a superior package!  You guys are the tops.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology