[Samba] Setting Printer properties using 2.2.3a & NT printer properties

Dan Horth d.horth at tzlimited.com
Thu Apr 11 20:14:01 GMT 2002

Hi - I've managed to successfully set up our printer as per the Printing HOW-TO, I'm able to print to the printer and upload drivers using the Win NT print properties window.

The problem I'm having is that I can't set any properties for the printer (ie. change the base model from HP 4050 to HP 4050 TN, set default paper trays / paper trey assignments).

Basically whatever settings I make are lost as soon as I close the printer properties window - all settings revert to default when I reopen window.

What I'm trying to do is have a couple of shares set up for the printer - once set to print to tray 1, one set to print to tray 2, etc.

I'm logged in with admin (root) privileges - and as I said I can upload drivers, etc. fine... and this is picked up by users installing the printer on their machines - just that they all come in as default setup.

I've found references to similar problems on the list archives, but no solutions offered. can anyone give me any insights / pointers to tests / documentation that will help me track down the problem.

thanks in advance, dan.