[Samba] Automatic creation of home directories when using winbind

Warwick Smith warwick at imvs.sa.gov.au
Thu Apr 11 17:02:01 GMT 2002

Thanks for your post - do you know if thus will only work if you use
winbind?

I have my unix boxes using an LDAP passwd/group backend using the
pam_ldap/nss_ldap combo and have samba set to use the same database.  This
works great and allows me to have all user info in one place without the
need for winbind.

The reason I haven't wanted winbind is the usernames (user+domain) you use
under unix and the comment in the doc about dynamically created RIDs and if
the mapping list gets corrupted then your screwed.

Back to my question - do you know if the /etc/pam.d/samba file is used only
by the winbind daemon, or does does samba itself use this (and thus can
create the dirs).

I am running redhat 7.2 and have the pam_mkhomedir entry in the session line
in the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file.  I currently have no /etc/pam.d/samba
file.

Regards,

Warwick Smith
Electronic Services Officer / Webmaster
Email: warwick at imvs.sa.gov.au
Web:   http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au
Tel:   +61 8 82223832
Fax:   +61 8 82223147

* If it's never finished, you can't prove it doesn't work. *

http://www.sin.khk.be/~dj/publickey.txt==========
          Member of Student Information Networking (www.sin.khk.be)