[Samba] Disconnecting shares

Jens Hoffrichter samba at starmobility.net
Thu Apr 11 05:56:02 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

we are using Samba V2.2.3a on a Debian Linux "woody" system. The samba
server is configured to be a PDC for our domain, which has mainly
Windows 2000 clients.

When the clients are idle in the network and don't use the server for
a while, the shares connected on the client get inactive (marked with a cute little
red cross in windows ;)) ), and sometimes it takes Windows up to 30 seconds
to reconnect to the shares. That's kinda nasty if eg. Word tries to save
a file while Windows tries to reconnect to the server, we have ended up with
screwed up files more than once.

We have tried most of the options regarding TCP and and timeouts, but we
have found no solution to it yet.

If somebody has some useful hints for us, we would be very glad.

I'm not sure what to include further, if the Samba version is enough. If
something is missing, don't hesitate to contact me....

CU all,
Jens Hoffrichter
--
StarMobility GmbH
Gutenbergstrasse 19 - D 70771 Leinfelden-Echterdingen
eMail jens.hoffrichter at starmobility.net