[Samba] Problem with Samba 2.2.2

Hemant Kumar Choudhary hemant.choudhry at patni.com
Thu Apr 11 03:32:04 GMT 2002

Hello

	I have installed Samba 2.2.2 on my HP-UX 10.20 machine. I am able to map
the shares from my Windows NT machine. But just after I map a share, the log
file gets one entry as follows.

[2000/06/13 11:40:42, 0] lib/util_sec.c:(94)
  Failed to set gid privileges to (-1,-24) now set to (0,0) uid=(0,0)
[2000/06/13 11:40:42, 0] lib/util.c:(1055)
  PANIC: failed to set gid

	It is not able to set gid. I am able to create and edit files through
windows NT explorer or through command prompt. But whenever I try to open a
file through a C program, the program gets the error as "Permission Denied".
the file gets created but its size is 0. May I get some solution regarding
this.

	I thought that winbind daemon will help me. So, I wanted to run winbind
daemon. In the man page of winbindd, I found that it is a part of Samba
suite. It is also told that it gets installed when Samba is installed. But I
can not find winbindd anywhere in the directory structure. Previously when I
installed Samba 2.0.7, I have executed a file named configure, which
compiled many C files and created the required directory structure. But this
time when I downloaded Samba 2.2.2's zip.gz file and extracted it, it gave
me the whole directory structure with all the files precompiled. I simply
copied it at the desired location on my server and then configured the
smb.conf file. I could not find winbind daemon anywhere. Can winbindd help
me solve my problem of not getting permission to open file ?

	Please write back.

Thanks and best regards,

Hemant Kumar Choudhary
Software Engineer