[Samba] Samba Domain Authentication working fine excpet for XP.

Bill Maxwell bmaxwell at netscape.com
Wed Apr 10 16:17:02 GMT 2002

Patrick:

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I found the answer about 30 minutes later in another posting.
It works great. Now all Windoze platforms can log into our Mac OS X
server using their domain tokens.  Which naturally means no additional
logins.  Their domain login caries through.  I use the very cool Samba
Sharing Package 1.5 from http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml
for Mac OS X.  It has a nice GUI to Samba 2.2.3a.  If you have a Mac OS
X system you should check it out.  The package includes a veto files
statement to exclude some common Mac OS X files.  The veto files
statement did not include the "?" that Marcel's solution has.  Once I
added them.  Every thing work great.

Here is the answer.  And thanks to Marcel for finding the solution and
posting it.

Bill

[Samba] Samba and XP share drive bug error
Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Sat Mar 2 13:51:10 2002

I reported about this in December when it seemed I was the first one who
stumbled across this. I written the developers twice about it by now and
it is
still not fixed. Now it is kind of annoying since I get a bunch of
people email
me every week asking the same question again and again.

If you use XP and Samba and veto files in smb.conf then you must use

veto files = /.?*/

and not

veto files = /.*/

to avoid this error on the client side:

[path] refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard
drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the
disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or
your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the
information might have been moved to another location.

Thanks,

Marcel