[Samba] Simple (?) question...

Rich Pinder rpinder at usc.edu
Wed Apr 10 15:31:04 GMT 2002

I'm not a very sophisticated Samba user, nor do I totally understand all
the gory details with MS Win___ products.

But I'm seeing a different behavior after moving our storage from a
Windows NT 4 server, to a SAMBA server.

I've got a client app (running on NT 4 workstations) that needs to
access the data on the server.

Its a read only share, basically just serving up images - no
writing/modifying of data is done by the client apps.

When the data was on a NT Server, I initially logged the workstation
onto the server (using a DIFFERENT username/pw than the user uses for
the workstation) ONCE - and then every time in the future the app ran,
I'm assuming the username/pw was recalled from the windows password file
(some kind acl ??) - and it just logged in as the software attempted to
connect.

Now, with SAMBA on the backside (using the exact same client machines),
each time the machine is restarted the username/pw needs to be re
entered.

I'm not sure why or where this happening.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks,

rich pinder
usc school of medicine