[Samba] Problems setting up samba ....

Kevin Bramblett kbramblett at dssresearch.com
Wed Apr 10 10:28:02 GMT 2002

Hi Eric,

I'm not so sure about Solaris, but I'm using an i386 (Intel-compatible)
machine with RedHat Linux 7.2 and Samba 2.2.3a-20020206.

I am using winbind and pam to do the authentication with my W2K domain (read
the winbind.html that comes with the Samba 2.2.3a version).  Then when
winbind is working, in your shares you can select individual users by
specifying your domain, the connector symbol you specified in your smb.conf
for winbind, and the user login name (i.e. CATFISH+JFISHER where CATFISH is
your domain, + is your connector, JFISHER is the user).  If the User login
name has spaces (i.e. DOMAIN USERS, you would specify CATFISH+"DOMAIN USERS"
in the smb.conf file and use single quotes to change the permissions for the
user or group (i.e. chgrp CATFISH+'DOMAIN USERS' charlie -- assuming your
share was named charlie).  Capitals for the NT DOMAIN _and_ the NT
USER/GROUP are also required, having something to do with how NT sends the
names to the Linux box.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Bramblett