[Samba] nmbd port problem

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Apr 10 09:15:02 GMT 2002

Yes, you could run the server on a different port, but it would lose it's
functionality - WINS is pre-set on windows machines and they will look on
the default ports of nmbd.

Options :

Get the programmer to not use other specified ports (see /etc/services and
pick one of the unused ones) - these are standards he/she is breaking and
should be convinced to change that - or

Get his/her program to bind to one address only, and run with different IPs
e.g. his software runs on the current IP say 10.0.0.1 and samba binds to
10.0.0.5 - or

Don't use WINS and have problems looking up machine names on windows clients.

Martyn

Hope this helps