[Samba] nmbd port problem

Jon Houg jon.houg at peregrine.com
Wed Apr 10 09:01:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am using Samba 2.0.10 on a Red Hat 7.1 machine.  When attempting to start
the 2 Samba background tasks - "smbd" and "nmbd", I get this error in the
"log.nmb" file:

	bind failed on port 137 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)

To make a long story short, I've determined that there is another process
from one of our own products using this same port 137.  I've contacted the
Developer of this product and asked him if the port that this product uses,
can be changed.  He said this cannot be done.  So, my question to the Samba
community is, is there a way I can tell Samba either through the "smb.conf"
file or some other means, to use a port other than 137 and/or 139 to start
"nmbd" and successfully use Samba along with our own product on this same
machine?

Thanks,

Jon Houg
Peregrine Systems