[Samba] Problems setting up samba ....

Matthew Hagerty matthew at brwholesale.com
Wed Apr 10 08:32:01 GMT 2002

At 10:17 AM 4/10/2002 -0400, Olson Cpl Eric S wrote:
>I currently have a couple of drives shared out in samba for Solaris. I want
>to create another share so that only "specific users" can get into it, and
>not everyone on my network. I would also prefer that samba use the WindowsNT
>authentication for connecting to this specific share. Can anyone help me
>out?
>
>Thanks,
>Eric

I don't think "authentication" can be set up on a share-by-share basis,
only "permissions" to shares.  Look at the smb.conf man page under the
"security" parameter:

SECURITY = SERVER

As far as a share goes, something like this:

[priv_share]
         comment = Privilege Share
         path = /usr/local/privilege
         read only = no
         writeable = yes
         valid users = +priv_users
         create mask = 0660
         directory mask = 0770

Only users in the group "priv_users" will be able to access the share.

Hope this helps.

Matthew