[Samba] Samba 3.0 No user accounts

David Shapiro David.Edward.Shapiro at btitele.com
Wed Apr 10 08:27:01 GMT 2002

They use a daemon called winbindd that knows to talk to the nt server to
authenticate users/groups.  It works fine on linux, but it has some kinks as
far as working for solaris (i.e., does not show all nt groups, requires a
work-around to have passwd command not whine about the winbind entry put
into nsswitch.conf).  You would put in smb.conf if your nt domain was INS,
for example, valid users = INS+Kosborne or something like valid groups =
@"INS+Domain Users".  On my Solaris box, Domain Users is one of the groups
that does not work with winbind.  I made another group and added users I
wanted to give access to so I could specify nt groups that would be allowed
access to one of my shares.  There is a few annoying setup steps involved
with getting it to work that are not well documented (e.g., force compile
stuff in source/nsswitch to make .so share libraries, cp or link them into
/usr/lib with .1 and .2 endings on them, etc.).

David