[Samba] Samba PDC: Windows 9x clients cannot share

Juhan Kundla juhan.kundla at mail.ee
Wed Apr 10 07:00:02 GMT 2002

Hei!

After countless frustrating hours of reading manpages, searching google
and staring at my smb.conf i have given up and now spamming this mailing
list with stupid questions.

I have a Samba PDC and several Windows 9x clients. Those Windows boxes
use user level access control and the Samba server handles the
authentication of users. Everything works fine besides one thing --
those windows clients cannot share anything. For example, when i try to
share the c: drive on one of those Windows boxes, i get the following
error, when trying to add users to the access control list of that share:

you cannot view the list of users at this time. please try again later.

Clearly, the windows machine cannot get the list of users/groups from
Samba PDC and i don't have a clue, why this is so.

My Samba server has the following configuration:

juhan at galadriel:~$ /usr/sbin/smbd -V
Version 2.2.3a-6 for Debian
juhan at galadriel:~$ uname -a
Linux galadriel 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Sam Mär 30 00:56:06 CET 2002 i586 unknown

The global section of my smb.conf

[global]
  netbios name = GALADRIEL
  workgroup = ARNOR
  server string = Samba server %v (%h)
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 1000
  syslog = 0
  os level = 255
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  domain master = yes
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  invalid users = root
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
  domain logons = yes
  logon home = \\galadriel\%U
  logon script = %U.bat
  wins support = true
  name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
  dns proxy = no
  unix password sync = yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n   *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

TIA,
Juhan

--
In the early morning hour, when the pub was closing, my grandpa
emptied his tankard, stood up and said his famous words:
  A chat with you, and death loses its sting!

http://juku.kicks-ass.net/