[Samba] Abnormal CPU usage on Samba 2.2.2

Luiz Alfredo Baggiotto luiz at pucrs.br
Wed Apr 10 05:23:35 GMT 2002

Hello

We have a Samba 2.2.2 running on a sparc/Solaris 7 box with about 300 workstations
and, recently, the samba processes seems to be crazy!
Sometimes (one or two times a day) the CPU usage grow up until 100%, independing
of a number of users at the moment. I was installed a orcallator monitoring program
and saw a increase of a "sleep on mutex rate" also. Apparently, one of the processors
(my system has 2) can´t unlock a resource and lock himself (is it possible?). I need to
restart samba to normalize the situation. The only different thing that I can see in my
environment, when the problem occurs, is that there are a "great" number of
simultaneous logins (20-25 workstations simultaneously), because is happening the
class start.
Everyone has one idea or suggestion about this case? Are there any test to evaluate
what is really happening here? I can´t to remain seated all time in front of the console
to restart the process... :-(
Thanks in advance

    Administraçao da Rede
        FACIN / PUCRS