Fwd: Re: [Samba] how to set the password expiration

Viktor Posta viktor_posta at hu.ibm.com
Wed Apr 10 04:54:02 GMT 2002

Please say that I undrstood this correctly !

In this situation, we are using Samba with pam authentication, and we are
using the /etc/passwd  file only, I mean configured in the PAM config
file...

And  if you set a password expiaration in the Unix password file, then
through PAM,
the Windows Client will get that he has to change the password ?

I think I'm a bit confused :)

Really what is the way step by step to be able to get a message in the
Windows client when the password has expired in the Samba domain !

We have read a lot mail about this issue in the last 2 weeks, and all of
them suggested
something, but I think not I'm the only one who has this problem, and who
is confused abou this !

Thanks in advance !

Best Regards !

Viktor Posta

Vijendra Agarwal wrote:

>   Note: forwarded message attached.

> Subject: Re: [Samba] how to set the password expiration
> Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:52:51 +0200
> From: Dirk Allaert <da at schaubroeck.be>
> To: Vijendra Agarwal <mail_listin at yahoo.com>
>
> usermod -e expire_date name
>
> expire_date: The date on which the user account will be disabled.  The
> date is specified in the format YYYY-MM-DD.
> filing with TurboTax

Just remember that Samba will only honer these values when built
--with-pam, 'enable pam restrictions = yes' and you have a correctly
configured /etc/pam.d/samba file

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org