[Samba] setting up cups and samba for printer exporting.

awesome-dave1 at juno.com awesome-dave1 at juno.com
Tue Apr 9 19:41:04 GMT 2002

Hi,
	I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD print server for my internal network so
that my single hp deskjet 812c can be used by any machine.
		I've set up cups 1.1.12 package on my fbsd box which also installed
cups-base and cups-lpr. Before i did this i baacked up/removed the native
fbsd printing binaries.
			Ok, so now i've got cups configured, it wrote out a single line
printcap, and i was able to successfully print a test page from the fbsd
box, so cups is working. On to samba, v2.2.
				I followed the instructions in the cups administrator's manual but my
printer didn't show up as expected, i had to change the printcap name
from cups to /etc/printcap in smb.conf before i saw my printer. I then
tried to access it via network neighborhood, and it said it couldn't be
accessed because it needed drivers, which i allowed windows to provide. I
then tried to print a test page and it said it couldn't, but gave me no
error log.
					I'm not sure what significance the adobe post script drivers have as
i don't have a postscript printer, it's only an inkjet, i also didn't
find all the referenced drivers the cups admin manual refered to. The
relevant portions of my smb.conf look like the following:
					[global]
					printcap=/etc/printcap
					printing=cups
					;printcap name=cups
					printer admin=@ntadmin
					[print$]
path=/opt/samba/printers
browsable=yes
read only=yes
write list=@ntadmin

[printers]
path=/opt/samba/printers
browsable=yes
printable=yes
guest ok=yes

						If anyone has a similar setup or any suggestions, or the direct url
on those adobe drivers, please email me.
						Thanks.
						Dave.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.