[Samba] Unable to authenticate to PDC

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Tue Apr 9 02:31:01 GMT 2002

Anthony David <adavid at adavid.com.au> writes:

> Greetings
>
> Using         security = domain
>
> We have followed the doco by deleting our samba server from the PDC,
> reentering it, then issuing the smbpasswd command below. and sync'd the PDC
> with the BDCs.
>
> To add to the level of frustration, it used to work before we had to
> rebuild the server. (= unhappy users...)
>
> Running Samba 2.2.3a Solaris 8
> Windows NT 4 SP 6a

Fixed.

Can't pinpoint which was the root cause but one of the following part of
it:-

1. User had started a "rogue smbd" process earlier in the day just to
muddy the waters ie. subsequent daemon start tests were not working.
Killed it;
2. Assumed NT PDC must have been cacheing password from previous build
set netbios name = myserver-server and voila it all work fine after
registration steps. Server name myserver never disappeared from NT
Server Manager display after deletion and wainting up to 45 minutes;
3. After successfully having credential accepted, went through server
registration with default "myserver" netbios name and it all worked.

users = happy

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED