[Samba] Windows 98 not connecting

Jens Zechlin jens.zechlin at web.de
Tue Apr 9 02:18:02 GMT 2002

Hi Neil,

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:22:27 -0500 "Neil Aggarwal"
<neil at JAMMConsulting.com> wrote:

> I tried to access the shares from Windows 2000 by:
[...]
> I was prompted for a user name and password to access the share.
> Everything worked fine.
>
> Not so on Windows 98.  I went to Network Neighborhood and
> double clicked on the machine name and see the shares, but
> the share asked me for the password only, not the user name.
> When I type in the password, it does not connect.

I think this is a general Win9x problem. This OS does not have something
like a 'connect as'-feature. Everytime you try to connect to a share the
current username is returned to the server. Only WinNT/2000/XP have this
feature to provide another username to connect with.

--
jens zechlin