[Samba] synchronize WINS servers

Jan van Rensburg jan.van.rensburg at epiuse.com
Tue Apr 9 00:15:02 GMT 2002

Martin,

The remote browse sync option is not WINS, but "browse lists". You can
not replicate WINS with SAMBA, even if both your servers are SAMBA
servers. In 95% of the cases you don't really need to sync WINS (apart
from high availability / load balancing). So you can rather configure
your win98 machine to use the NT server for WINS.

There is a good document in the SAMBA source tree called "browsing",
iirc, that will explain the name resolution process in detail.

Regards,
Jan van Rensburg