[Samba] synchronize WINS servers

Martin Rasp mrasp at web.de
Mon Apr 8 23:55:02 GMT 2002

Hi.

I've been searching the Internet but didn't find a working answer for my problem. So I'm asking here.

I've got a working WINS server which runs under WinNT 4 (hostname n63110, workgroup fs-fbq4). Now I'd like to set up a second one with Samba 2.2.3a (hostname u84151, workgroup fs-fbq4) under Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody) and let them synchronize with each other.

I've configured my Win98 workstation computer to ask my Samba WINS Server for NETBIOS Names which works fine (/var/run/samba/wins.dat contains hostname, username and workgroup name).

When adding Samba WINS server in WINS-Manager (NT4) and double-clicking on the new entry I'm getting an error message that either the WINS server wasn't started or couldn't be accessed.

Here are the related parts of the [global] section of my smb.conf:

workgroup = fs-fbq4
local master = yes
os level = 65
domain master = no
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
wins proxy = no
remote browse sync = n63110/fs-fbq4
dns proxy = no
name resolv order = lmhosts host wins bcast

What's wrong with my configuration?
Thanks for any help in advance.

bye, Martin
--