[Samba] Auto create home dirs - how?

Warwick Smith warwick at imvs.sa.gov.au
Mon Apr 8 19:06:02 GMT 2002

I have setup Samba 2.2.3a with an OpenLDAP backend to store users, groups
and computers successfully, which means users are created there directly and
not through the normal unix utils.  This means the user's home directory is
not created when the user is.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get Samba to automatically create a home
directory?

Sounded easy to me, but I have the added complication of having many user's
home directories on separate Samba servers (ie not the PDC), so I can't just
add a 'root prexec = createhomescript' in the [netlogon] share.

I've tried the 'root prexec' in the [homes] section but Samba will not show
the user's home share unless the home dir exists - seems like a chicken and
egg situation to me.

Ideas?

Regards,

Warwick Smith
Electronic Services Officer / Webmaster
Email: warwick at imvs.sa.gov.au
Web:   http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au
Tel:   +61 8 82223832
Fax:   +61 8 82223147

* If it's never finished, you can't prove it doesn't work. *