[Samba] NTLM authoriaztion & Samba (and other SMB-compatible) servers.

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Mon Apr 8 13:34:03 GMT 2002

Hello, Andrew!

BTW, could I use libsmbclient for cli_logon() and other functions?
I've looked at samba code, and understand, that forwarding of pakcets
need RPC and IPC$ code, and it is huge amount of it.

AB> modntlm.sf.net
  I'll look at this.
AB> squid
  I use docs from this.
AB> Samba's 2 internal versions
  Code of samba is too general and, thus, too hard to read :(
AB> I think there is somthing in fetchmail (client)
  Samba-grabbed, I know. But I want BSD, so I wrote this by hands,
  using info from squid-realted doc.

AB> The problem is that NTLMSSP isn't a simple as it looks.  There are a
AB> miriad of options and flags.  Users can send you both LM and/or NT
AB> passwords,
 I see. I implement hardcoded version from squid, and I have options
 to check/don't check flags on parsing (more or less strict packet
 checker), check only LanMan, only NT or both passwords (really --
 hashes). It work for simple task -- allow to send SMTP and receive
 POP3 mail for my roaming users with Outlook. I could not enable plain
 POP and LOGIN/PLAIN authorization, but APOP and CRMA-MD5 supported
 only by The Bat! mailer under Windows (may be Edudora too, but in
 Russia Eudora is rarely used). The Bat! is my favorite, but
 many other uses Outlook/Outlook Express.

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev at serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |