[Samba] More than 1 Samba Server on 1 workstation?

K. Hawkes k.hawkes at zombies.force9.net
Mon Apr 8 12:43:02 GMT 2002

Hey everyone, I hope your days are going well.

I've got a question which has no doubt been answered before but I feel the
need to ask it anyway.

Where I work we have a spare server which is running Mandrake 7.2, I've been
left to my own devices on this
server by my boss in an effort to help me learn more about how our school's
network works without releasing me
on our "live" Samba Network.

I managed to configure Samba 2.2.3a and it runs great, I created my own
.conf from scratch using the 'Using Samba'
documentation in SWAT and various other documents.  This may not seem like
much but I've learnt alot from it.

This machine has an IP of 10.16.0.250, on this IP it runs Samba 2.2.3a
SMBD/NMBD and SWAT.
What I was wondering is, can I install Samba 3.0 alpha 17 on the same
machine?
Obviously giving Samba 3.x different paths for it's binaries and such, it's
own config file etc...

I tried to run it's SMBD/NMBD along side the other version, the NMBD ran
fine yet the SMBD failed with
the error of it can't bind to port 139 which is the NETBIOS port.  My boss
was under the impression you could
run 2 SMBD's sharing the port and depending on what you typed in the DOMAIN
box, it would direct the output
to the relevant daemon.  However I've come to believe the Samba 3.x system
would want it's own IP.

The straight up question is, can I run 2 versions of Samba along side each
other?
If I can, how can I accomplish this?
If not, the way I thought of doing it would be to stop the 2.2.3a one
through linuxconf.  Then just load the 'smbd/nmbd/swat' set that I wanted to
look at.

I've looked at 3.x's changelog, it doesn't mean an awful lot to me I must
admit.  Could anyone out there be good enough
to tell me the MAIN differences (in terms of features) that 3.x has over
2.2.3a?  We run Samba 2.0.7 on our main systems,
Mandrake 8.1.  I assume that 2.2.3a has plenty of fixes that make it well
worth upgrading from 2.0.7?

Thanking you all for your time and patience :)

Kris

"May darkness be your only ally, for in the shadows you can hide" - Kris
1998-2002

---