[Samba] MS CIFS licensing - should we worry?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Apr 7 15:03:06 GMT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 01:09:34AM -0600, Thomas.Cameron at CameronTech.com wrote:
> All -
>
> I have been using Samba since late 1996, and I owe a debt of gratitude
> to Tridge, Jeremy, and all the rest of the amazing crew who have
> contributed.
>
> The note on Slashdot about Microsoft forbidding anyone releasing a CIFS
> workalike scares me - a lot.  Does this put Samba in jeopardy?

Current advice is "Don't Panic" :-) :-). No, we don't believe
this puts Samba in jeopardy.

We're preparing a much longer statement but to ensure we're
completely factually correct we want to talk to the FSF lawyer,
who is a great bloke who advises us on legal matters. These
things take a little time so hang on in there and don't panic :-).

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.